Thursday, March 22, 2018

a bad hair day, fresh eyes, and laughter

Yesterday, I had a bad hair day. Now I am sure every human has had a bad hair day. I am not the first and I will not be the last, but, alas yesterday was my bad hair day. Firstly, I completely understand that a bad hair day is extremely minor and minimal compared to everything happening in the world at large. There is something extremely powerful that a good hair cut/ good hair day/ day at a salon being pampered on the outwardly does to the soul of a woman. My hair is still freshly cut and colored and yet this bad hair day I did have.

All day at work, it was a struggle. Towards the end of my day, I went in to talk to a patient. As we were talking about discharge planning, she mentioned about four times about how she was having a bad hair day. Throughout that piece of the conversation, she continued to mention it and apologizing to me for her bad hair day. As I did my assessment, I learned that she was a hairdresser for quite a lot time. When she mentioned that, I apologized for my bad hair day - day. This lady has been through a lot physically and her mood has been one of seeming very down, anxious, and short with people. Yet, the moment, I mentioned my bad hair day hair, she began to laugh and giggle. There we were giggling and laughing with our bad hair day hair. It was an organic and a sweet moment.

I didn't fully realize the true depths of this moment, until I was driving to small group processing through the day and this moment was highlighted. It was redemptive to my bad hair day. It also made me question our perspectives in moments. What if the rough and challenging moments in life are in fact keys that God uses to create other moments that are above all we could ask, think or imagine.

Hilariously, in a surprise redemption, today was an amazing hair day. I did walk with a different, deeper perspective.. searching for those treasures God would bring into other interactions.

No comments: