So, I had a fun and random conversation with my friend Samantha at work…. that included me sharing the phrase- "short term sacrifice for long term benefits." On my run, Holy Spirit challenged me with this thought---- what if it is not about what we want, instead what if it is about what we want more. I began listing off things that I do want, but they were followed up with truths and realities I want more.
I want sweets of all sorts, but I want a six pack more.
I want to sleep in, but I want to go on a run more.
I want to chillax until two in the morning, but I want to go to sleep so that I can have an early morning run more.
I want to come home from work and relax watching Gilmore Girls or a movie, but I want to read my list of books more.
I want to be married and have a family, but I want a marriage and a family that defies the American dream and looks differently than what I have seen.
I want to be able to share life with a handsome fellow, but I want to trust God's orchestrations and live a God-sized love story beyond anything I can dream.
I want to have seven kids and be a wife and Mom on the mission field, but I want God's timing more.
I want to be graduated from college, but I want the learnings and growth that I am gaining from this journey more.
I want sometimes to buy an outfit, a cute pair of shoes, or clothes, but I want to remain steadfast in my financial goals and to run towards being debt free more.
I want to see what's beyond the bend in this chapter of life, but I want the adventure and the intimacy it is growing within my heart towards my God more.
So, what I want may not necessarily be wrong or bad, but is there something else I want more. It would seem then, the saying no to what I want for what I want more is not a sacrifice, but instead a joy.

2 comments:
I want to close my heavy eyelids, but I want my infant to be nourished to get his milk more!
Amy, I love this post. It is so well stated, and it proves that you have determined to walk in Jesus' footsteps even when it may be inconvenient or seemingly undesirable. When a person lets Jesus be "in charge" of their decisions, it saves a lot of wasted time and energy. It reminds me of the quote "Delayed gratification is the mark of maturity." It's a sign that the Holy Spirit is teaching patience and self-control. Hallelujah!
Now I'm going to go nurse the baby so I can get some sleep! Love you! -Erica
Erica!! Thank you. I love that quote and that reality I pray God is building within my heart!! Nurse on, Erica!!! I cannot wait to meet that little man!!!!!
Post a Comment