I had a previous blog at www.xanga.com/amiechica14, but i've decided that with a new adventure brings forth a new blog. How exciting... a new home and now a new blog.
Recently, I moved from Wilder, Kentucky to Kansas City, Missouri. The most asked question was: "Why Kansas City?" ... and thus transitions into my Kansas City story...
In 2004, I came to Kansas City to do an internship through the International House of Prayer. It was a three month internship called Fire in the Night. I remember driving around Kansas City with my Mom, the night before my parents and I would be heading back home, and just having this feeling that I could see myself living in Kansas City for a season of life. Leaving Kansas City, I was confident that I was going to come back within the next couple of months to do the second track of Fire in the Night. However, about a month later, I got an email from the Fire in the Night staff making me aware that I was the only person signed up for the second track and so they were canceling it. Life continued in Cincinnati, Ohio...
In 2009, I had a patella tendon reconstructive knee surgery. I'm not sure if it was as a result of the pain medication or if it was God given, but I had a dream that took place in the IHOP prayer room. This dream was so powerful and realistic that it once again stirred up this desire to come back to Kansas City, but then again life continued onward.
In January of 2011, on the chalkboard mural that I painted in my room, I erased everything that was doodled and written and wrote 2 lists. On the left side was Kentucky and everything that I loved about living in Kentucky. On the right side was Kansas City and everything that stirred up this desire to live there. In the months afterwards, I had days where I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in the United States, but in my amazing Kentucky as a launch point for God to send me forth from. Alongside, I also had a days where I was ready to move to Kansas City and the excitement that ignited within me to step out into a new adventure was enough for me to start making plans. This continued for the next 4 months...sometimes switching back and forth based on the day.
In March of 2011, I had a dream. In this dream, I was in the hospital that I was working at: St. Elizabeth Medical Center. I was in the endoscopy unit and it looked exactly minus it had atmospheric lighting instead of the horrid lighting. My parents came into this area with me. They started out the conversation reassuring me of their love and that nothing I have done or ever will do will change that. They then asked me to take a pregnancy test. To which I became dramatic and surprised responding with, "What? First I don't have a boyfriend. And second, you know my standards." They continued to assure me of their love and were quite persistent about me taking this pregnancy test. Knowing the truth, I finally gave in and went into the bathroom to take this test. I remember having to read the directions *smile*... I came out and they were will a doctor. I gave them the test and they looked at each other, gave it to the doctor. The doctor then nods and responds with, "As I suspected, congratulations. You are going to have a baby." To my shock, I was beyond words and so confused. "What? How? I didn't have sex. You have to have sex to have a baby." To which the doctor in his best professional manner shared, "Well, there are sometimes we have nights that we don't remember as a result of partying and a little too much drinking." Looking at him like he was crazy, I told him that, "I am not that girl. I remember my life. And I didn't have sex." I don't think that any of them believed me. I was told that I was, in fact 3 months pregnant The next thing I know I'm being transported by my transporter friends, but not only to increase my frustration, I had to share my hospital bed with an 80 year old lady.
I shared this dream with my Mom after it was stuck in my mind and heart and wouldn't leave. She decided that we should call one of her friends who has a gift for dream interpretation and that we should ask her to pray over it to see if God gives her something. She said she felt like God was birthing something in me, but that the old lady in the hospital bed symbolized alongside the new birth, there would have to be a death as well. I counted it all out and the end of August/beginning of September would be the ninth month. And Amy hid these things in her heart *smile* ...
In April 2011, one evening, I just made a decision to engage in Kentucky and the life I was living in Kentucky and erased the chalkboard mural of questioning a Kansas City adventure.
Then one lovely Monday in June, I usually always got scheduled as a transporter on Monday mornings, but for some reason, I didn't this particular Monday. So, determined to embrace my Monday, I went to the pool in our apartment complex. I was, literally, the only person at the pool this summer afternoon.
(*(To preface this story, I was in the midst of a season with God where He was asking me a lot of questions. And not just any question, but questions that the answers were touching deep wounds. Through these questions, He was bringing a lot of healing forth. )*)
So, I'm relaxing at the pool and Jesus asks me this question:
"Amy, Why are you in Kentucky?"
"412. I love them. I love serving the youth and encouraging them and I know that I am supposed to be with them in this season."
"Amy, Why are you in Kentucky?"
"Seriously, Jesus, I love serving and being a part of the 412 team and loving on the youth and serving them. I truly love those youth with all of my heart."
"Amy, Why are you in Kentucky?"
"Jesus, why are you asking me this?"
"Amy, Where would you live if you could live anywhere?" (knowing that internationally is not this season right now...)
"You know what...I'm not really sure. I've never really thought about it."
"Amy, Where would you live?" ... Him knowing me better than I know myself...
"Kansas City."
And it was in that moment, I felt the nudge of the Holy Spirit to step out into this new adventure. I was so confident in the voice of God that I left the pool, went back to my apartment, and took everything in my room and in the laundry room that I owned and began going through what I needed to keep, what I could give away, and what I could throw away. Since being in Kentucky, every time I went to clean my room, I felt Holy Spirit encouraging me to simplify my life and my treasures. Which helped this final simplifying process.
From this moment forward, I felt a confidence in going to Kansas City. It freaked me out a little, but only because of the uncertainty and the unknown. Throughout the entire process, I felt the truth of His peace transcending all understanding. Talking to a man at work who became like a spiritual Father, it hit me that the peace that transcends part of this adventure had to come from God. Because in no way did this adventure feel safe or comfortable.
When I shared this new adventure, I was wondering if they would share something about "Oh goodness. Here goes Amy on another one of her adventures." Instead, my entire family were wholeheartedly supportive. It was a breath of fresh air to have the encouragement of my family.
It was amazing seeing God take care of the details. I sure had to put some hard work into it to, but seeing Him do it with me was lovely. There's so much more to share...but another day... another day I shall share...
For now, I am in the midst of this Kansas City adventure. Away from all of the people I love, away from the comfortable and into this new adventure.
"my strength in life is I am Yours." *smile*
with love, amy
No comments:
Post a Comment