Tuesday, December 13, 2011

my first catholic mass... *smile*... CONSISTENCY

So, 2 Sunday's ago, I went to my first mass at St. Thomas More: Kansas City... it was quite interesting.. walking into the building, I realized that I had parked on the opposite side of the sanctuary. So, I walked down a hall and got into an elevator where I was smashed in with about 5 other senior citizens. The elevator was super tiny and didn't make any noise moving.  It was quite the welcoming adventurous experience.... so, I walked in to the sanctuary past the "holy water" and I observed a few going past using the holy water and doing the Catholic cross body sign. I decided a back pew might be the best. So, I slipped in to the middle. I noticed a very subdued atmosphere as I looked around. People weren't greeting and hugging each other as had always been a familiar scene growing up in church.  A couple moved into the pew next to me. They didn't make eye contact although I was ready with a smile. They simply sat, lowered their kneeling bench and then proceeded to kneel. With pensive looks upon their faces, I wondered if they were praying, talking to Jesus about life, removing guilt from sins of the past week, or getting into a mindset of "church." The bulletin that I picked up as I walked in (there were no welcoming people) was huge... including all of the activities, needs, and events, even two and half pages of ad's. There were alter boys and girls... and it made me think and imagine what it could looked like to see my Dad as an altar boy. He's shared with us his altar boy experiences.  *smile*

Apparently, I had joined on the second Sunday of advent. Advent just intrigues me...it's this adventurously, expectant waiting... waiting for God, waiting for Jesus to be born... a lovely perspective of Christmas. So, throughout the service, there were many sit-down, stand-up's. I attempted to keep up throughout the passages read and read back. I knew a couple from watching "While You Were Sleeping"- one of my favorite movies. The priest intrigued me. He would speak in this voice while he was reading from the Bible and then once while giving announcements, he had this genuine voice where I could picture him having a very Grandpa nature. I wondered why there was a different tone for each.  I did grasp that the Catholic religion has a lot of consistency. This particular Sunday there were a group of about 15 people who were joining the Catholic religion. They even were asked to share what they expected from the Catholic church. It's interesting how when people have children, they want them to grow up in church. There were a few songs to celebrate the second Sunday of advent. I found the "peace be with you" hand-shaking time interesting. This was the only time that people even acknowledged me. They turned and with a smile and warm handshake said "peach be with you." And then again no eye contact. Then communion time came, I had learned in my research of Catholicism to not take communion as a visitor. So, I just observed. I found it quite interesting that everyone used the same cup to take a drink out of and the priest would wipe the cup with the same cloth between each member, except for couples standing next to each other...they would both drink, and then the priest would wipe the cup.  About half the row in front of me left after communion.. there were a few more readings and hymns to sing and then we were dismissed. The dismissal was the fastest I have ever seen in my life. I was wondering if there was something going on afterwards. Even in a doorway, two adults ended up squeezing through together because one didn't let the other go first.

Consistency. Consistency is the word that I would place with what I learned about the Catholic denomination. They say the same phrases, the same every week with slight differences. I am learning that there is something that consistency does to your life. Whether that comes in through your time with God, physical exercise, learning something, practicing, investing into friendships. A lot of life can be broken and/or repaired through consistency. However, my heart ached for the people around me to know Jesus. To know His heart of love and how He enjoys them despite their human-ness and that they are loved just as they are. When I moved to allow my row to walk and get communion, I looked up and saw a guy who also didn't go up and take communion. It looked like he was with his family. He looked completely weighed down... whether by guilt, condemnation, or awkwardness... even his posture was limp, shoulders down, and face downward. During the first part of communion, I went into intercession over him- that he would encounter the love of Jesus in a deeper way. However, consistency... behold the power and consistency. As long as the heart is still soft.

That evening I got into conversation with one of my tables I was serving, we ended up talking about God, TOMS, Missouri craziness and churches in Kansas City. The table was  two personable, business men waiting on the rest of their party. When I told them about going to my first mass, they asked me what I thought. One gentlemen shared that growing up Catholic, the consistency was equal to boring for him. He seemed like a man who loved God and his family, but didn't like the religious aspects.

It was definitely an experience and I'm so glad that I went to know.

ps: ONE WEEK and I get to go home for Christmas... *smile*

"I'll be home for Christmas."

No comments: