Monday, September 7, 2015

Unconditionally****** Larger Story versus the Smaller Story of life…...

Friday night on my run, the song "Unconditionally" by Katy Perry came across my playlist and as I was listening to it, something hit me brand new. Instead of a challenge to love the people in my life unconditionally, I saw it in a new light. Today, I was reminded of my God's unconditional love that floods all around me. Steady. True. Constant. And how I can love Him back in varying degrees. That I do not love Him unconditionally. I want to. What does that look like??

For me, that looks like choosing to love and set my focus when I don't understand. When I question. When I am surrounded by Why's. When I don't understand his ways, but resting in his love. Not being stress-y in His love, but resting, and leaning into His love despite the lack of answer's to my why's.

Oh how runs are so good and powerful for my physical body and also my heart, my spirit, and my view on the world. Friday night's run awakened this revelation about living life in the larger story versus the smaller stories… and throughout the weekend, I was thinking about that and how powerful the realization is of this.

Okay, so, we live our lives that includes friendships, relationships of all sorts, jobs, dreams, daily to-do stuff and although, these are important, this is what defines the "smaller story" … the story increases when your life meets another--- such as a friend, a significant other, or a family member…. but the larger story…. the larger story is the community you are living in, the macro part of life (social work terminology)…. the world at large, continents, countries…. So, the thought is that one of the ways the enemy distracts and paralyzes is when we focus on the smaller stories. Even a friendship, relationship, or someone in our family…. maybe a dream that has died, a career path, a desire unmet, even an adventure undiscovered. When you are so focused on that "small" story, you are unable to see the larger story… the bigger picture. You have a sort of blinders on.

Now, this is pure theory. This, I believe can be one piece of the puzzle that ushers in addictions, even divorce. For instance, in marriage (this is coming from a never been married girl, who hopes one day to encounter that joy) if our world is just you and me…. it can be kind of suffocating. We were made for the larger story. We were made to live our lives outside of us. And if it is just you and me and our little life, there is no adventure to take on, no battle to fight in, no story that takes us outside of us. I want to join up with my future husband and take on the world together… to fight for something larger.. to live on that larger story scale.

So, a few days ago, Holy Spirit was showing me my life presently and the elements of my life and challenging me to live on that larger story scale instead of staring at one piece or another with wondering. But to be fully present- to follow my feet and be intentional with each step. Here. In this season.

Today is Labor Day. I am off of everything--- work, internship, school, volunteer…. So thankful for a day to rest and not labor *smile*…. it is so good for my heart. And this evening, I get to be and relax with the quality people.

"There is a season for every activity under heaven…" …. this season is definitely teaching me the beauty of pockets of rest. But oh how I love it. Under 100 days!!!! *giggle*


This is from a month ago, but this amazing group of people had a game night this past Wednesday… lets just say amazingness was had!!!


No comments: