Monday, February 1, 2016

Ski adventures in the in between***

I went skiing. With Chad, Megan, and Brian! It was a great trip- refreshing-relaxing-revitalizing… there were indeed moments of awkward… sometimes you just have to go with it….oh goodness. There were some extraordinary moments throughout the journey. We went to West Virginia to Snowshoe Mountain. I have gone skiing ALOT! I enjoy it… but it has been about 4 years since I had gone… and I had never skied a mountain. Perfect North was my ski spot for years on end. You arrive at the parking lot/lodge and then you take the ski lift to the various slopes ranging in difficulty. So, imagine my surprise and we arrive, park, and we are at the top of a mountain. I could not remember to ski, and now I have to ski down a mountain. I knew my muscle memory would kick in because I did it a lot…. but here I am having to remember as I ski down a mountain. Oh the mental game I had to fight. So, the other three are like, let's go… as I'm trying to get my ski boots into my ski's.. Hilarious. I was half laughing because I was so uncertain if I was going to get through the day alive. So, I begin to ski with some amazing and incredible encouragement from Chad. He kept saying that they would help me and encourage me. So kind. So kind. So thankful for his friendship, and this trip made me so excited for Megan and him too!! I digress…. so, I start trying to ski hoping my muscle memory will kick in sooner than later as I speed down the mountain. Skiing/Snowboarding is such a mental sport. You allow an ounce of fear to come in and you're tumbling down the slope… or you get distracted and are not focused on where your ski's are, what the slope looks like, those around you… tumble onwards…. I remembered this, so, the night before I was mentally preparing. Preparing to not be held back by fear, to not allow the cliffs and drop off's around me to keep me from skiing fully. The theme mentally quickly became::  "It's just you and me Jesus"…. Such a sweet adventure to share with Him! *smile* … yes I tumbled, quite a few times. My friend Brian tumbled near me on the steep side of a slope and was a God sent because I do not know without him if I would have had the courage and strength to get back after losing me ski poles and detaching from my ski… luckily the ski stayed with me! I tumbled, yes… and some of my bones reminded me how restricted I am when trying to get back up…. but you know what, we tried a precision section with ramps and rails the second half of the day. Brian goes down, Megan encouraged me and then went down to show me how it wasn't as hard core as it looked… When I asked Chad if I could go a different way and meet them down there, he encouraged and challenged me to step up to the challenge and that he would make sure nothing would happen to me. He directed me on where to go if I didn't want to do the ramps, and he's right, I did it… and went around the jumps for the first bit of the hill, and then I thought why not…. why play it safe and went for one of the big jumps where I was in the air for a bit and not only did I fly, but I landed it! The girl who was uncertain about skiing the mountain at first, took the challenge and went aerial!!!! It was exhilarating and amazing… if I lived around slopes, I would probably be a ski chick! Heck yes. Amazing. It was awesome.


No comments: