Thursday, July 16, 2015

An offer of forgiveness…….

Interesting. A little over a month ago, I was hurt by a friend who I thought I could trust. There was no offer of forgiveness, but I made a choice to forgive and to live out "Love is kind." I did not feel it, but I made the decision that love in its very raw definition will be the mark of my life. Wrestling with the hurt I felt, I chose that my life would be defined by love and not anger and/or bitterness. So, I forgave. In the month that followed, I ended up making the choice to forgive continually whenever that hurt resurfaced. Today, this person asked for my forgiveness. In that month of choosing forgiveness, I thought the process would have been made substantially easier if I had received an offer of asking for forgiveness. And yet, because I have chosen forgiveness, it did not make a difference. Interesting. My heart was already living in such a place of forgiveness and choosing to love in such a way that even when the person who hurt me was sitting across from me asking for forgiveness, it did not change anything. It was great to see this person realize how they had hurt me... and yet…. I think its interesting how we think that if the person who had wronged us would ask for forgiveness than we could move on. It may be a process but I have learned that forgiveness and the freedom to move on … that power.. is in our hands-- to make that choice. Interesting.




No comments: