Thursday, September 15, 2011

a crispy fall day in Kansas City...

Hello world...greetings from Kansas City!!!!

Today is a crispy fall Thursday in Kansas City is my first fall day here... it is in the 40's!!! A couple of days ago it was in the 80's... oh, Kansas City weather is so dramatic... unlike the rainstorm's in Kentucky, the rain here comes "randomly" and hard and then it's just gone.... Kentucky seemed to have the subtle transition into rain and out..not Kansas City, they like the dramatic weather... I say "they" and wonder if I'll include myself when I refer to Kansas City. I'm guessing one day it'll switchover... but for now, I still feel like a Kentucky girl in a new city. One of my roommates just moved here about a week and half ago and she said that it has and already feels like home. I do not have that feeling... well, the other day I drove to and from work without the help of Stella, my GPS.... so, that was an interesting feeling knowing exactly what highway I needed to take and such... I'm guessing this is just a matter of time...

Today, marks ONE MONTH of being her in Kansas City. It's been like the longest month of my life... i am quite convinced that this past month of days was expanded in someway....and yet, it has been one month. Wow.  I still don't know a lot... and yet I feel God is giving me glimpses....

I was super excited one day in time with Jesus, I wrote a list of all of the things I've always wanted to do and just have never been able to do... or things that I miss doing in Kentucky that I can do here.... so, I'm going to step out and do them.  Some of these adventure tasks include reminding and awakening my piano playing skills, swing dancing, going shooting, kickboxing, ballet classes, improving my memory skills, spinning, and sewing... i'm excited to see what skills develop or awaken on this venture....

QUALITY vs. QUANTITY



the current challenge.... in every area.... I was reading a fashion magazine and it was emphasizing the need for quality of pieces in your wardrobe rather than a quantity of mediocre pieces.  I was at the library yesterday and skimming through a book about the brain and it was discussing studies that have found that consistent, quality, shorter study sessions in learning new information than longer study sessions that have the quantity- that our brain is like a piece of steel where information is harder to input, but once it's in, it is harder to get rid of..... and even in friendships, you have to make the decision to be have quality and depth in a few, because it is impossible to have a deep quality friendship with everyone: "a mile deep or a mile wide" ... This morning, I was reading a book about healthy food choices ("Dorm Room Diet" by Daphne Oz- Dr. Oz's daughter) and how the easiest and cheapest food choices are usually in giant food quantities calling out to you. She said this phrase and it has really stuck with me- would you rather pay a low amount of money for cheap, processed food and then have to pay a whole lot of money in the future for bypass surgery or hospital bills as a result of your eating habits, or pay a little more now for quality food that will nourish your body.

I'm realizing that in the past, i've been a quantity person... I enjoy having a wide assortment of clothing pieces, i'm horrid at the studying in bulk when there is a reason aka quiz or test, and i've enjoyed having a wide array of friendships, and I'm a girl who loves saving money in the small random ways.... but lately i'm craving... my spirit is craving quality. I don't want to invest in friendships that are mediocre. I don't want to buy a bunch of good enough clothes that I really don't love, I don't want to study at the last minute anymore, and I don't want to eat processed, crazy food solely because its cheaper now.  It really is a brand new mindset and perspective...its a challenge to go through and rethink new choices because I crave the quality over the quantity. I had no idea how much this really has permeated my life... but I'm excited to see my life become more and more quality...and less and less quantity.

...daily.... consistent.... intentional...

on a funny moment... i was watching a few Gilmore Girls episodes and it made me crave PopTarts. Other than at NKU, one of my teachers was so passionate about PopTarts, that was the last time I had had a PopTart in 5 years.... so, I bought some *smile*

Well, I'm sewing this evening and then Skyping with my Haiti-ian team family!!! *smile*

No comments: